Saturday, December 3, 2011

Mawaru Penguindrum Ep. 20-21

Mawaru Penguindrum Ep. 20-21


Mawaru Penguindrum Ep. 20-21

Posted: 02 Dec 2011 10:06 PM PST

It has been a tiring week for me personally, which is why I stay away from this series knowing very well it’s going to fry my brain anyway. For the last 21 weeks, Mawaru Penguindrum never ceases to do so and I assume it will continue to do that in the remaining three episodes. Nevertheless, these two episodes were good in piecing the puzzles together. Some things were made clearer.

So….in 20th episode, Shoma defended his siblings! SHOMA DEFENDED. I think I never saw him doing anything but falling flat on his face. So, yeah. He defended his precious siblings from stalker maniac Masako. However, his heroic moment only lasted for a while. As it turns out, Shoma knew about his past all along. The only who couldn’t remember anything was Himari. That said, I’m grateful for 20th episode with its flashback and whatnot. It provided me and I believe others too an understanding of what actually happened to the Takakura siblings. We also learned that they are not related but have pledged to be a family. Since this series emphasizes on fate, I’ll say it is really fate that binds Kanba, Shoma, Himari and Masako together.

Wait. Masako? I’m not surprised to see her spending time with Kanba while Shoma was busy befriending Himari. What surprised me was that both Masako and Kanba are biological siblings. This explain why Kanba was able to roam around Natsume ground so freely.

Now back to our main three stars – Kanba, Shoma and Himari. Episode 21 highlighted the bond between these three. In my opinion, it’s a sad episode because the make-believe Takakura siblings we all knew so well have split up. And it’s all Shoma’s fault. Okay, maybe the pressure had built up a long time ago but I couldn’t help but say that. Because if he hadn’t fight Kanba, I’m pretty sure they’ll stick together. After all, they’ve spent most of their lives together and had created beautiful memories to remember.

Kanba and Shoma, despite each having their own flaws, are indeed good older brothers. I smiled when I saw how they made the effort to cheer up Himari. Painting the house with bright colors, making princess-like bed and simply enjoying each other’s company. It’s really sweet.

That all being said, there’s no doubt episode 20 and 21 have made progress with all that’s going on with Mawaru Penguindrum. The next three episodes will wrap things up. Although, I’m curious about one thing. If the Takakura father’s dead, then was Kanba imagining things or were the conversations merely an illustration of Kanba’s inner conflict?

P.S When Shoma asked Himari to stay with his uncle, and then Himari ended up with Kanba, it kinda make Kanba look like an old man. LOL.

P.P.S I can’t believe I’m saying this but I kinda miss the crazy Ringo days….

No comments:

Post a Comment