Thursday, July 21, 2011

Mawaru Penguindrum Ep. 1 & 2

Mawaru Penguindrum Ep. 1 & 2


Mawaru Penguindrum Ep. 1 & 2

Posted: 20 Jul 2011 06:19 AM PDT

The first thought that came to mind after completing the first episode two weeks ago was the word "Wow!".  This show is fantastic. I almost dismiss the show as another one of those super dark and grim show but I was soooo wrong. Saved by the Twitter? Hmm..that sounded lame. Okay, let's move on.

The first two episodes did well in proving why I was wrong. It immediately threw in all the cutesy, vibrant and fun elements into the story that made to whole show stood out. The summary really did not do the show justice. For once, I’m glad I have a Twitter account since a lot of the people I follow has been singing nothing but praises about it. How can I not give it a shot right?

Let’s see…how shall I summarize this show? It’s about two brothers hunting for a penguin drum as instructed by a mysterious spirit which temporarily takes over their sister’s body when she don a penguin-like hat. I shall name that spirit hat-sama. It’s very clear that Kanba and Shōma care a lot about Himari. Maybe a bit too much. There are not-so-subtle incest hints all over the first episode.

Bear in mind, Mawaru Penguindrum isn't just bright and fun and vibrant. The series has a darker underlying theme that involves our own questioning of fate, and the first two episodes showed just that. Do we believe in fate? Do we not? How do we like the idea of placing control in a thing called fate? The opening phrases of the first episode made me pondered a bit since I never really question fate in that perspective, but we'll leave it as that since it is open for interpretations.

And then, the opening phrases of the second episode have much more positive vibe. But then again, it came from a stalker. Hmm..now where does that leave? I was muffled when I found out Ringo is a stalker. During her brief appearance in the first episode, I thought she might've taken interest in Shōma. So yeah, I was surprised the moment she wore that evil grin on her face. Unbelievable. I'm still trying to digest that information.

If you're watching this series too (but if you don't, I urge you to do so), you'll agree with me that Mawaru Penguindrum is loaded with cuteness. For a change, it isn't about cute boys or cute girls. It's the *drumrolls* penguins!!!!! My screenshots must’ve given that away right at beginning. Sheesh.

Every little thing they do is just cute. The way No. 2 bring the umbrella to Shōma, the way they spray vermin, the way they helped the brothers to investigate Ringo and the list just goes on and on and on. I'm filled with bubbly happiness as I recall those moments. Those penguins are simply irresistible.   :cute love: <- this emoticon is also cute.

By the way, I’m thinking hat-sama has taken something from Kanba. This scene was taken from the first episode. And later, I saw Kanda holding his chest. This is another thing worth finding out.

Now, what exactly is a penguin drum? Why is hat-sama so keen on finding it? What use does it have? At this moment, I'm placing my bet on the special diary Ringo is holding as the infamous penguin drum. It seems to be foretelling future events and since we're wrestling with issue of fate here, it is fitting. Or maybe it’s an apple? But how about we join the journey together and find out what exactly is it? =)

P.S The whole hat-sama thing kinda reminds of that Powerpuff Girls Z I accidentally (yeah, accidentally) saw gazillion years ago. The transformation sequence, that is. Gawd, I hope they don't repeat that every episode. It's annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment